Okay so I haven’t actually done any painting, but I have got the mausoleum finished…
I had a bit of an exciting lunchtime as I tried to set my school on fire when the toaster failed to pop up… at least I know the smoke alarms work! Full evacuation occurred, plus I didn’t get any lunch as it was carbonised!
Now instead of shoving as much onto the build plate as possible, I am instead going for smaller numbers, a major reason is that the filament is running short, but also because I got two walls in just over two hours.
I also printed a dozen ghouls and a dozen dwarves Huscarls.
Well that is the tower finished. Part one was just under 19 hours, part two over 26 hours and part three came in at just under 7 hours. So all in about 52 hours… I am now going to have to purchase a new roll of filament too as this took up an awful lot.
On the tooth front, I ended back in at the dentist today as my face swelled right up and was really sore. They cleaned it out again and also redid the filling.
Here is mr Chipmunk!
The triage nurse wanted to see what the swelling looked like. I took the photo while on the phone to get.
Eighteen hours Forty nine minutes of printing led to the first part of the tower getting finished.
The tower will be on the right hand side. Based on the printer first layers the tower is the same length as this one. From what I remember there will be a rock face against the lower bit, but I honestly cannot remember what it looks like.
So after doing a lot of big buildings and some larger scatter I was running a bit low on filament so I went down a few sizes to ensure I didn’t run out mid print. Here is an original Mordheim miniature trying the out for size.
To breed honest I could have probably done another set of these with what was left on the roll, but my new one came today so I went back to bigger things. Mixed in amongst the bigger things were another set of the crates.
I am really pleased that this machine seems to be back to full functionality. Obviously the money I spent on upgrades, never installed, was wasted as it is now (touch wood) seems to be fine.
I can only remember some of what I added to the build plate so tomorrow I am in for a surprise 😁. Not sure what time tomorrow as the build plate is quite full. When I was out just before the bases of things hat were printed were about 3mm high… that was after almost 4 hours printing. I did spot one thing that might cause me problems. One of the crate piles seemed to be touching another thing!
Fear not, this is not an order, but more a description of my latest prints.
The four in the centre were done overnight. I put them on my 2 foot square terrain mat. So as you can see they are not tiny things. I am printing a second set off as I don’t I will have enough filament on the spool to do anything bigger. Over the next few days my plan is to do a lot more scatter style pieces to use up the remains of the roll.I
I will see what is in this range and then look at my stuff from Lovecraft or Highland Miniatures. Some scaling will have to be done with the Lovecraft miniatures as they are massive compared the these.
The only problems I have is that I printed this and for some reason didn’t slice the bottom part. I also cannot remember if I dropped the size down a bit. Therefore I have redone it and the lower portion at 90% size.
This will act as a stand alone ruin in its own right.
After purchasing various bits for the FDM printer I found two things, one – my motherboard won’t accept them and two – I got it working again!
So with a bit of swearing and faffing with the build plate on the fly I have managed to get some buildings printed. Now the centre one really needs redoing as it has printed badly. The columns at the front are really fragile.
I also had a power outage and somehow the printer actually got back on with it accurately (it is meant to, but sometimes what is meant is not what happens!) The one on the right is the affe Ted one here.
So here are the three new ones…
These are all from the Printing Goes Ever On. The one on the left is from an earlier download, the other two are from the ‘not’ Osgiliath set.
This photo shows my 20% infil. It was taken when he power came back on…
The right hand model has a first floor that comes off and was printed separately.
I am renting another one off right now. Four hours in… and I cannot really see the timeline moving… the FDM takes forever. The building on the right took 32 hours plus another 5+ for the separate floor.
In case you are wondering, the printer is sitting on a concrete paving slab. This is because I have to leave it on for so long.
Tonight I managed to get the 2mm farms just about finished.
This time the buildings are stuck down so there is no going back now. The only problem is, is that there aren’t enough buildings to make the town now…
I tried them out for size on the town base. The town base now has the church/temple on it as the rest are glued elsewhere. Luckily I have another set of thirteen printed and cured. The above still needs trees etc to make it a bit more interesting.
The other thing I managed to get done this evening was to slap some paint on some 28mm Pikemen…
Still a way to go, but they are getting there. Yo be honest a lot of each miniature still to do is armour.
I got a couple of aliens printed successfully last night. I will drop a photo of them tomorrow.