Well sort of… yes I have nearly finished my 6mm Italian Wars Imperial Army… by nearly finished I mean I have one base to paint… but here they are in their all painted glory…
You can see the one still to paint on the right of the photo above.
As you can see from the photo below…I actually had some spares…
I will get the army varnished sometime soon and then add some bushes to break up the green.
If you think about it, this is a 500 point army with half sized Pike blocks… to begin with I nearly went for 1000 points…. eeek! In reality this is only two Pike blocks. In the rules they come in 8, 12, or 16 bases, with a skirmish unit covering the front bases and a Doppelsoldner base attached too.
And finally, this happened when I put the sand over the top of the Speedpaint bases…
Well this was a very long time coming, but I think, and hope, that I have finished the 6mm Italian wars troops…
This is the final twelve bases worth painted and covered in sand. I have eighteen other ones in this state that will need the bases painting.
I reckon the empty filament spool landing on the pikes really put a dent in my enjoyment of the project. I checked back through my blog posts and began printing in July at the very least. In September I began painting after my Irregular Miniatures arrived, to be fair it hasn’t been a constant run of painting as I lost heart after the splat of doom occurred.
Anyway I will paint up the bases tomorrow and put everything out together to see what it looks like. In all honesty most of them have sat in a box since they were painted.
You may remember that I halved the number of pike bases jn a unit. I hope it is going to look okay in the final army. Only time will tell to be honest.
I nearly put the end is nigh as a title, but it sounded a bit ominous… anyway this evening I did some more work on the 6mm Italian wars arqubusiers for the Tercio. As expected the Speedpaints reactivated, but I just plowed ahead regardless.
This is all I have left to do …I think and hope! The ones on the left are finished, apart from potentially adding colour to the plumes.
The eight bases on the right need hats and flags doing. Then this lot and will need sand adding to the bases before joining eighteen more stands that need paint adding.
That will be my 500 point army finished. I really, really hope I don’t find anything lurking somewhere that I had forgotten. 🤞
Remember this lady with the 5 o clock shadow… well I went to repaint her tonight and actually the grey colour was indeed just that, a shadow. Either that or some wierd light reflection from her grey fur… either way, I don’t care as she will do as she is.
One of these days I am going to boot the printer up and do some more of the Rohirrim, but probably not for a while as I have so much to paint as it is.
Today I did a teeny bit on the Speedpaint miniatures… aka I painted over the white on the hands and faces, or in some cases yellow.
I also did a test on a Contrast flag… I painted one in red and then waited half an hour and then shoved a layer of GW White Scar over the top… the only difference between the two was that one sat for about 24 hours and the other 30 minutes… here are the two side by side…
I still haven’t given up yet, although some of my newer models have a strange jaundiced tint to their skin… or perhaps it is yellow fever.
I decided to paint something a bit bigger than 6mm, so found a couple of spare 28mm pikes and sprayed them white. ..
We had a couple of power cuts this evening, well the wind was rising over the afternoon and by time we brought the horse in it was pushing 65 mph. It threw me about and also sent a half ton horse shooting sideways by a couple of metres. Although as a community we are pretty set up for wind, there have still been some issues, we had a door give way. Luckily a couple of screws kept it shut. We also have a fence that has a wooden post that has snapped.
I wouldn’t fancy being on the ferry to the mainland this evening. We really thought that they would be off, but nope they are going late… the one coming North is taking 17 plus hours instead of the usual 12!
The power did come on at about 20.30 so I managed to get some painting done.
I did another skirmish unit for the Italian wars… it won’t win any prizes but it is done. Funnily enough these seemed a lot easier than the last set of three bases. I honestly think it was mental state rather than difficult miniatures. The 15mm monster hunter miniatures probably cleaned the palate for want of a better term. I want these finished and out of the way. I think the destruction of two Pike blocks put a downer on the whole project. I also brushed on an undercoat for my two ‘Spanish’ Officers as well making a start on the terror birds…
As you can see from the above photo, I have another set of three skirmishers ready to go. I made a start on the two Rohan characters a while ago and to be honest I really can’t be bothered with them. They are lovely miniatures, but I think that right now I need something that I can just slap some paint on. The Keleken will be ideal for that.